Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Life or Something Like It

We have moved from being community-based, outdoor creatures to those who hide away in the caves which we call homes (or condos). Where is the sense of community?
I really like to believe that if people had a sense that we were taking the food out of others' mouths by our overconsumption and realized exactly how we were affecting the rest of the world including flora and fauna, everyone would be more conscientious and most likely change their behaviour. Is this really naive?
I don't think that the majority of people are selfish enough to wish harm on others. I think it's just our style of life that allows us to not see the true results of our actions. That is one of the reasons why I am a supporter of the triple bottom line.
I am really trying to become conscientious. But it's so easy to use chemicals for cleaning the house, buy stuff made overseas rather than locally produced, save money by not buying organic, etc. But I think that if I don't make the effort, it is highly unlikely that others will either!

No comments:

Post a Comment