I did a major in anthropology. Anthropology is the study of people.
anthropos-humans
ology-study of
Yes, that may be a bit of a vague definition. The easiest way to describe it is the study of culture. And no, not culture like Van Gogh and the symphony. Culture like, what do people eat, who do they consider family, how do they name those family members, how do they perceive gender, etc, etc,etc. It also encompasses archaeology and physical anthropology which is primatology and evolution.
So how many professional anthropologists do you know?
Myself, I know several and they were all my profs in university. There are some other famous anthropologists like Kurt Vonnegut (counter-culture author), Margaret Mead, Jane Goodall, Wade Davis... However, try to find a position for a professional critique of culture. Doesn't really exist. I knew this. It's not like I felt that I would get a position directly in my field. But I thought maybe it would be slightly useful. I was wrong.
A lot of people have asked me if I regret my degree. If I could go back and do it differently, would I do something else? I've always answered in the negative. There's lots of things I would change, but not that. I may not have come out of university with a career, like a nurse or teacher, but it directed my mindset. Anthropology is not something you do, it's what you are. It's how you see the world. It's like ultimate third-wave feminism. It has coloured my perceptions.
But lately, I have been beginning to change my mind. I might go back and do engineering. Anyone have a time-machine?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment