Thursday, October 22, 2009

Etiquette

One of the problems with our society, in my humble opinion, is the lack of etiquette.

I feel like there is a lack of rules that dictate what appropriate (and inappropriate) behaviour is.
I don't want to go back to the Victorian era when women were highly oppressed and people were severely limited as to how they expressed themselves.

I just want people to realize that putting their feet on the skytrain seats is rude. Some people follow basic etiquette and others do not. The real problem begins to arise when those who do not follow rules of etiquette are completely oblivious to their gaffes.

I believe that is it partly related to class and upbringing. If your mom stayed at home and raised you, you may have better manners than someone who had two working parents. Maybe not, but I think that parents are not enforcing manners and etiquette like they used to. So maybe it should be highly emphasized in elementary school.

I also think that we are losing all forms of etiquette because people are oblivious to subtlety, but that is another rant....

No comments:

Post a Comment